Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Bios programming...

From: devis <devis () easynix net>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 09:52:27 +0100

Matt Marooney wrote:
Very true, and I'm sure that I am not going to be able to keep people
from getting around it, I just want to make it really really hard.
Obviously, if the person is smart enough to boot to a different OS,
setup their internet connection on that OS, and browse, then they are
not going to be using this product in the first place!
I want this software to help people who want help, to keep them honest,
and unaware that their system is monitoring activity.

Am i the only one to have a problem with that sentence ?

Most of the other services out there are very "in-your-face" or they
only monitor one type of traffic.  The BIOS requirement was to keep the
users using the system.  If they take the machine in to BestBuy to get
it serviced, and the tech wipes or replaces the hard drive, the poor guy
doesn't remember to reload the monitoring software.
I'm open to other suggestions, I just want to make it next to impossible
to delete (without the admin password, of course), and invisble to
operate.
Thanks for the comments!

-- Matt
As several others have put it already, this is pure evil. I just don't believe in the "good cause" you're mentionning. Who in the world would desire such programs features on his own machine, despite his/her 'terrible addiction' ? This is big brother in action, with full security by obscurity, with noway to proove if your cause is indeed genuine. Monitoring people without their consent is just evil. Beside, i believe 'knowing' of the monitoring will be even more efficient, so make a inoffensive program, and tell the 'addicted' they are being monitored. I just don't see the point for making such software ( with such features anyhow ) other than missuse of the harvested information.

-d.
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html