Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Cisco IOS Shellcode Presentation

From: "Andrew R. Reiter" <arr () watson org>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:02:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005, Eric Lauzon wrote:

:
:So mutch fuss....its all so new ..
:
:http://www.phrack.org/phrack/56/p56-0x0a
:
:-elz

I don't get your point; it obviously seems you're trying to be sarcastic.

I think, if you realize what you're talking about, the point of the talk
was the idea of reliably being able to exploit a IOS vulnerability.
Reliably meaning having the cisco box not reboot on you (or other various
scenarios that could occur).

Gaius has some good information there, but there's a difference between
being on a router and plugging in backdoor code and actually being able to
get onto the router via an exploit.

So what was the key point?  CHECK HEAPS -- the idle proc that kicks in to
validate heap management structures.  Think about malloc() bugs (double
free()'s and stuff) that were talked about a few years back... Those were
easier to exploit b/c they didn't have a check heaps code that kicks in...

If you don't understand the last paragraph, then, please stop trying to
post technical arguments on this subject.

Cheers,
Andrew
--
Andrew R. Reiter