Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Considering nSight, any opinions?

From: "J.A. Terranson" <measl () mfn org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:43:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Jason Heschel wrote:

Hi list,

I tried sending this to a SecurityFocus list but I think everyone's at
Blackhat or something. :)

We've spent the last few weeks evaluating nSight (www.intrusense.com).
It's been very helpful in identifying exactly what, when and who is
eatting up all of our internal network bandwdith as well expose some
'strange' internal network behavior which was causing some
intermittent problems with our Windows hosts.  Anyways, we're now
considering making a purchase.

I'm curious to hear any opinions, problems or praise people have for
this software. Does it scale well? It seems to collect a lot of
information. How does it perform after collecting several months worth
of data?

While I'm not familiar with this product itself, this sounds like a
knockoff of the Arbor product - which I LOVE, but which even the worlds
largest NSPs cringe at in terms of price.  If you have rudimentary shell
scripting skills with just a touch of C, you can easily roll your own
using netflow records.  Barring that, this class of software provides
useful information and I recommend them (by class) as "must have's" to any
medium or larger network.

HTH,

//Alif