Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: Terminal Server vulnerabilities

From: "Bob the Builder" <builder173 () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:30:07 +0000

Are any of the vulnerabilities in this google search even vaguely current? They all seem to be at least a couple of years old, I don't recall anything recent, posting NT 4 and pre Win2k SP3 issues is hardly contradicts the MS statement that there are no current issues. The main security issue with Terminal Services that I see its susceptability to brute force password attacks. If you are really really paranoid about running Terminal Services then tunnel it over either SSH or IPSec. I would point out that there have been root compromises in SSH fairly recently too!

Also, as a usability asside make sure you set session time outs or you risk finding yourself accidentally locked out of the box if you have too many dodgey disconnected sessions. I usually set active:1day, inactive:1hr, disconnected:10mins. That way if the box is monkeying about or people leave sessions open you can still get in - useful if the box is too far away to go to the console.

Cheers,

Bob