Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Xfree86 video buffering?

From: _evil <evilninja () gmx net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:17:43 +0100

KF (lists) wrote:
Recently I have noticed that after shutting down my machine or rebooting my X-windows will briefly flash an image of whatever I was doing when I rebooted the machine or logged out.

i've had a similiar issue with a 3dfx "banshee" videocard and some (beta)driver under win2k (or win98?). this card had 16MB video-ram and as cards are coming with more and more ram, these things might occur more often. the thing is: where does the video-card save this "screenshot", when the computer is powered down? maybe this ATX ("soft poweroff" or so?) is to blame. or even ACPI. yes, blame ACPI ;-)
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html