Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: the art of locksmithing

From: "George Georgalis" <george () galis org>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:09:31 -0500

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 01:17:49PM -0600, James Longstreet wrote:
Rudimentary Treatise on the Construction of Locks, Charles Tomlinson,
1853.

http://www.deter.com/unix/papers/treatise_locks.html

My favorite line is as follows:
"Rogues are very keen in their profession, and already know much more than
we can teach them respecting their several kinds of roguery."

Thanks! Not the exact presentation I was looking for but this is the
author I was tracking down.

In the course of search I found these interesting links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerckhoffs%27_law
Auguste Kerckhoffs
In cryptography, Kerckhoffs' law (also called Kerckhoffs' assumption,
axiom or principle) was stated by Auguste Kerckhoffs in the 19th
century: a cryptosystem should be secure even if everything about the
system, except the key, is public knowledge.

http://home.ecn.ab.ca/~jsavard/crypto/mi0611.htm
The Ideal Cipher
http://home.ecn.ab.ca/~jsavard/crypto/jscrypt.htm
A Cryptographic Compendium

http://petitcolas.net/fabien/kerckhoffs/#english
http://petitcolas.net/fabien/kerckhoffs/la_cryptographie_militaire_i.htm
JOURNAL DES SCIENCES MILITAIRES.  Janvier 1883.  LA CRYPTOGRAPHIE MILITAIRE.
? La cryptographie est un auxiliaire puissant de la tactique militaire. ?
(G?n?ral Lewal, ?tudes de guerre.)

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george () galis org