Full Disclosure mailing list archives

OT: a call for full-disclosure to become a moderatedlist

From: "Kurt Seifried" <listuser () seifried org>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 00:57:10 -0700

it seems to me that without a moderator (since there is the apparent
absence of people who are moderate, or even civilized), this list will
continue its degeneration into a never-ending pissing contest.

Yup. Such a list already exists:

security () lists seifried org

is a moderated subset of bugtraq, full-disclosure and various vendor lists.

Against moderation: it slows things down. Witness Bugtraq, some stuff takes up to 3-12+ hours to get through. Witness my list: some stuff will take up to 12 hours (because I like to sleep sometimes, or just plain forget to moderate when I wake up). While there is a lot of noise there are a lot of gems posted to full-disclosure. One secret to filtering: most of the noise comes from gmail.com accounts and a half dozen other people (currently I have 38 email addresses filtered automatically and this cuts most of the spam).

-Kurt