Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Phishers now abusing dynamic DNS services

From: "Graham Reed" <greed () pobox com>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 14:03:51 -0500

pagvac writes:
What I mean is that the average user will trust more an URL when
seeing the word "paypal" in it as a domain name, rather than some
dodgy-looking numerical IP address, with a sub-directory called
"paypal".

Most users won't even see or notice where the link goes, that's why it works. What you do need the hostname for is, to bypass the alarms on webmail services like Yahoo!, which will display a scary pop-up if you click on a link that's got a numeric IP address for the hostname. It won't alarm on most other types of names. At least, I was able to make up a name and point something in my domain at an arbitrary IP and Yahoo! stopped showing the warning. They may have a blacklist, which would catch phish sites once people know about the hostname. Of course, without HTML mail, they wouldn't be able to show one thing and mean another.... And eBay doesn't help the whole situation: if you read the HTML version of eBay "favorite search" mail, the links take you to some site other than eBay. (Actually, a doubleclick.net address--which is not resolvable on my network.) Fortunately, the plain-text version has right-to-ebay.com links.