Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Phishers now abusing dynamic DNS services

From: Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 11:02:59 +0000

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 10:22 +0000, pagvac wrote:
I got another Paypal phishing attempt today (I get about one every week :-) ).

The interesting thing about this attempt is that the phisher seems to
be using a dynamic DNS service to gain the trust from the victim.

In this case the html link was pointing to http://www.paypal.25u.com
which doesn't seem to resolve at this moment.

www.paypal.25u.com does of course look more legitimate than some
random IP address in which the word "paypal" is not included.

They are new to phishing and didn't have the carding facilities to get
themselves a registered domain that looks similar enough to Paypal. ;-)

When this phishing attempt reaps them some required information they
will graduate to investing a few pennies in a domain.

This isn't terribly interesting or innovative, malware have been using
this sort of technique for quite some time.

--
With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

"He who hingeth aboot, geteth hee-haw" Victor - Still Game

blog:  http://reboot-robot.net
sites: http://www.bsrf.org.uk - http://www.security-forums.com
ca:    https://www.cacert.org/index.php?id=3