Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: McAfee VirusScan vs Metasploit Framework v2.x

From: Orlando Padilla <xbud () g0thead com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:18:05 -0800

Would you yank out Canvas, and Core Impact products as well?

oh, wait... there probably isn't a sig for those so you wouldn't know.

On Friday 09 December 2005 11:38 am, Michael Holstein wrote:
Looks like some overzealous idiot at McAfee added "Trojan" signatures for
202 files in the latest version of the Metasploit Framework. If you use
the Framework for your job and have a McAfee support contract, *please*
call them and let them know that their product is incorrectly tagging a
standard security tool as a "Trojan" and that this is interfering with
your ability to conduct business.

A gun is a legitimate tool too .. except when it's in criminal hands.

McAfee (and any other A/V product) let you configure exceptions/overrides.

In my enterprise environment (McAfee, BTW), I would *want* copies of
Metasploit yanked automatically from a PC.

My $0.02

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University