Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: agreed certs dont mean that much..but need experience..

From: "Kerry Thompson" <kez-fulld () crypt gen nz>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:57:46 +1300 (NZDT)

Joel Jose said:
well agreed but then we cant get experience without a job. and to get a
job
you need qualifications ..so certificates are supposed to give that to
you..
good ones like cissp demand that you have working experience as a pre
requisite. so is there any good certs for starting as a security
professional? i am doing my Btech(BS) degree.. that should give me some
edge.. but i still need qualifications like good certs that will be looked
up by the security industry.

You could go after a lesser cert, like the SSCP. Some SANS ones may also
be a bit easier for you. Or even a vendor cert from Cisco, Checkpoint,
Juniper/Netscreen, etc. which are relatively easy to pass and don't
require years of experience.

You may also score a few points if you state on your job
application/resume that your goal is to get a CISSP.