Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Help put a stop to incompetent computerforensics

From: Erik Kamerling <ekamerling () snaplen com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:32:19 -0400

sophistry

On Thursday 11 August 2005 22:39, Jason Coombs wrote:

My conclusion is that I slipped and fell because the definition has changed
and computer dictionaries haven't caught up yet.

As for whether or not you'd roast me in front of the judge,

'Your honor, the evidence shows that the term Trojan hasn't been used in
practice since before public dial-up access to the Internet first became
possible. The parties clearly have adopted other language to describe the
software in question in this case and they have formalized this language in
contract. I believe that there was no definition of Trojan set forth in the
contract because, your honor, neither party believed that the term Trojan
needed a definition, because it's obvious to anyone with a high school
education what the word Trojan means. Its only meaning to this contract (or
in this patent) is the common sense meaning, regardless of the computer
dictionary definitions and computer expert testimony dating back to the
1960s that the opposing counsel and opposing experts would have this court
believe was in the mind of the parties (or the inventor) when they drafted
this contract (or patent claim).

We're all familiar with, and have experienced, the broadening of the
meaning of familiar terminology. However, the narrowing of the meaning of
familiar terminology can and does also occur. I conclude, and it is my
opinion, that just such a narrowing has occurred and is occurring with
respect to Trojan as the term is applied and used in computing.