Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Help put a stop to incompetent computer forensics

From: Jason Coombs <jasonc () science org>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:15:02 -1000

Thierry Zoller wrote:
Or in better English :
A computer trojan horse is a program which appears to be something good,
but actually conceals something bad.

Interesting. What dictionary are you reading this definition from?

Whether or not the malware does other things as well, everyone I know considers a Trojan to be a type of malware that allows an intruder to gain entry to a system through the front door once the malware has gained entry through some other means such as tricking the user into installing it, forcing itself to install a la spyware, or exploiting one of the many vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer that enable Web sites to plant and execute arbitrary code.

If your proposed definition is the correct one, I'm willing to alter my own understanding of this term. But you're going to have to offer some proof that other people agree with you.

Somehow I suspect that Homer would disagree with you, and he is the proper definitive authority on this subject. See the story of the fall of Troy through the use of a Trojan Horse that enabled the whole Greek army to gain entry through the front gates because of the actions of the hidden package within the horse.

http://classics.mit.edu/Homer/iliad.html

Regards,

Jason Coombs
jasonc () science org