Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Cisco IOS Shellcode Presentation

From: Jason Coombs <jasonc () science org>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 08:14:45 -1000

Bart.Lansing () kohls com wrote:
It occurs to me that your solution is flawed as well. What assurance do we have that your "protected storage" is future-proof (i.e. unbreachable by an means whatsoever)?

It doesn't have to be unbreachable by any means whatsoever, it has to be unbreachable from a remote location. This is easy to accomplish by not connecting the protected storage to a network interface.

The box can still be owned by an attacker who gains physical access to the device, but so what? The protected storage will never be owned by a JPEG and the CPU will never ignore its built-in machine code authentication logic because it would not be implemented in software or firmware.

Regards,

Jason Coombs
jasonc () science org