Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Does the following...

From: Andrew Farmer <andfarm () teknovis com>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:37:07 -0700

On 10 Sep 2004, at 17:18, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:20:14 PDT, Andrew Farmer said:
Didn't get the OP's message, but yes. If there's no microphone
attached, then the sound card (and, by extension, speech recognition)
can start picking up radio announcers. Spooky, eh?

Man, are they *still* selling sound cards that are *that* crappy and
unshielded? (And I thought the built-in microphone on my Dell laptop
blew chunks just because it has a tendency to pick up the hum of the
disk drive motor when the gain is cranked up.... ;)

Apparently, yes. This is a known occurrence.

Support:
- Text includes some text that one might expect in radio
  - "San Bernardino 90" (traffic report)
- Speech-to-text errors
  - "nineteen 89" (1989 - nobody would ever type this)
  - "A BA, maybe" ("maybe -- maybe")
  - "9ยข" ("nonsense")

To other posters:
- RF keyboards don't exist. Nobody's *that* unconcerned about security.
- Bluetooth keyboards require a pairing process to work, so that's not
  too likely.
- Bayesian-defeating text? Explain to me why that'd be showing up in
  Word.
- Random prose script? Falls to Occam's razor: why would it be implemented
  in Word (other than as a prank)?