Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Full-disclosure digest, Vol 1 #1933 - 20

From: Barry Fitzgerald <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:01:27 -0400

Geo. wrote:

far-fetched.  Would it be possible to create a jpeg that would copy
itself to other drives on a shared network in an auto-executable
position?  I suppose so... however, it would be noisy and probably
wouldn't be amazingly successful.<<

Picture a company full of users and a worm that copys the jpg file to
\\machinename\c$\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

you think it might get a few clicks, especially if it had a harmeless yet
tempting name like saturn.jpg

Geo.

I could think of even worse places to put it. Of course, some companies would fall victim to this, but in an even remotely secured network domain, you'd probably have to compromise a domain admin's system and try to spread on shares via that login.

         -Barry

p.s. By making the inherent assumption here that admins would be less likely to get infected with this than average users and that the average network is even remotely secured, I'm probably (definately?) giving corporate networks more slack than they deserve. Referring to this attack vector as "wouldn't be amazingly successful" is probably wildly optimistic on my part.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html