Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Q: Linux Command Line Encryption

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno () wolff to>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2004 09:31:30 -0500

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 17:48:26 +0000,
  Ali Campbell <fdisclosure () alicampbell org uk> wrote:

I need a Linux utility which I can use to encrypt a single gzipped file
via the command line. Obviously something open source would be
preferable. I'm not really interested in setting up a whole suite of
stuff with keyfiles and so on, and I don't need a public/private key
setup, just something quick and dirty with a single secret key for
encryption and decryption which is nevertheless reasonably strong.

If you are only automating encryption and not decryption and not signing
for integrity, you should probably reconsider using public keys since
that way you don't have to make a password available to your script.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html