Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Q: Linux Command Line Encryption

From: Cedric Blancher <blancher () cartel-securite fr>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:44:23 +0200

Le vendredi 22 octobre 2004 à 13:46 -0400, Mike Tancsa a écrit :
This is only as strong as your passphrase.  Using something like GPG has
other advantages since the private key can be kept in a separate location
from the encrypted file.

GnuPG can be used for symetrical ciphering only. Excerpt from gpg
manpage :

~$ man gpg
[...]
       -c, --symmetric
                 Encrypt with a symmetric cipher using a passphrase. The
                 default symmetric cipher used is CAST5, but may be
                 chosen with the --cipher-algo option.

So :

        gpg -c --cipher-algo 3DES test.txt
        gpg -c --cipher-algo AES256 test.txt

Will give test.txt.gpg output (can be changed using -o/--output).

--
http://www.netexit.com/~sid/
PGP KeyID: 157E98EE FingerPrint: FA62226DA9E72FA8AECAA240008B480E157E98EE

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html