Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [SPAM] Re: [SPAM] Your daily internet traffic report

From: Hugo van der Kooij <hvdkooij () vanderkooij org>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 00:16:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Willem Koenings wrote:

Most routers will regard any ICMP request to them as a low priority issue.

do they? icmp is not only about 'echo'. there's lot of
other functions via type/code - fragmentation, mtu etc,
vital for traffic signalization. administrators, who
blindly closes all icmp traffic are plain stupid idiots.

That should have read "ICMP ECHO request".

I know IOS (Cisco) does handle it as very low priority traffic. So it will
be the first to be dropped or answered extremely late.

While your filtering point is valid and in fact occurs in major networks
these days which make troubleshooting a pain if you forget a major ISP can
will actually drop required traffic. But I was only pointing out that the
specific request is handled with low priority in some (perhaps most)
routers and is not an accurate reference point.

Hugo.