Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Evidence Mounts that the Vote Was Hacked

From: Keith Oxenrider <koxenrider () sol-biotech com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:28:33 -0600

I would like to suggest that the core problem with elections in the US (electronic, opscan, hanging chad, etc.) is that the system is NOT in the hands of the electorate, rather in the hands of partisan political appointees who have no interest in any system designed in an open, verifiable way. I like what I read in Prakash's paper, but I have read many such proposals and many alternatives many of which have mathematical proofs (some better than others) and all open. Instead of our government (I am a US citizen) asking experts in secure communications to design/validate an open system (take DES and AES for example) we have political backroom pandering being done obscuring (indeed attempting to make illegal to even study) the system implemented. Until (and if) this changes there is no hope that any open, independently verifiable system can be put in place. No one in the security biz would accept the use of a closed-source cryptography system, why the heck are we using a closed source election system?