Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: IE is just as safe as FireFox

From: "joe" <mvp () joeware net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 19:47:11 -0500

problems. I think, 1-3 web servers (possibly clustered) for territorial
subdivision and 3-5 in head office is enough for all tasks in corpotation
which isn't listed in Forbes Top 500 :)

Most of the work I do and have done over the last 10 years has been for
companies in the global 50, most of the last 8 years has been for the global
5. Obviously for smaller companies, you will *generally* need fewer intranet
servers but it depends entirely on the business model and IT organization.

Anyway, you can specify an unlimited amount of non-proxied servers in
autoconfiguration script. More, you may modify autoconfig rules as
frequently as needed, or even do it automatically.

Agreed. But if the idea is to protect your internal clients from your
intranet web servers, the proxy isn't doing much for you. Plus again,
someone can just configure their machine to not use the proxy as mentioned
previously. If the machines are available on the public intranet without
having to go through some firewall, you can't slap much of a guarantee on
things not reaching them except via your proxy. You mention setting up
routing ACL policies for HTTP traffic further down. This isn't something
that is reasonable to manage in a large organization and does nothing from
stopping people from selecting alternate ports.

  joe