Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: IE is just as safe as FireFox

From: devis <devis () easynix net>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 03:40:05 +0100

Excuse me, but i won't join and rejoice. Until, as i have posted on this list elsewhere, this item makes it further than the obscure devel / kb article but gets actually pulled as a critical security update and the 'linking/shortcut' procedure automatised for key components / applications in the process, i am afraid this would not reach lower than the admin / techy / power user type.

Another big trouble will be eventually the inability to use windows update with the browser. Once again i am talking in an user context, out of the box settings. Maybe MS will finally code a graphical "su" for IE ?
=> To update this computer, please enter the admin password etc etc ...

From MS ? ummmm i am highly doubting they are ready to sacrifice this level of useability ( lets be admin by default ! ) for real security. I am saying no chance.
Time will tell.

joe wrote:

FYI. This is just one of the many items currently in the oven that I was
alluding to previously. Of course some people will take this and complain
that people shouldn't be running as admins in the first place (to which I
agree) but prior to complaining about it, hold tight and watch for what else
comes out. MS really shocked me and some others with some of the stuff they
are putting together. It is just taking some time to get spun up in this
newer direction but I think once they are fully aimed that way people will
be a bit dazzled by how much starts coming out.
I don't expect the coming changes will make every one happy both because
there are some area that just can't be easily fixed and because some people
will never be happy no matter what MS does.

 joe

--
Pro-Choice
Let me choose if I even want a browser loaded thanks!

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html