Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: signatures for Oracle Alert 68

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:30:41 -0500

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:54:31 +0100, "Antonio Javier G. M." said:

We really know what are we talking about. Please, use google to search for
IDP or IPS technologies and snortinline.

And *I* know as well - if you *READ* what I said:

Just a reminder for everybody and the archives - unless you're using some sort
of firewall appliance that doesn't pass a packet that triggers a signature,
having a signature doesn't actually protect you.

In other words, it's a WARNING to those who *DONT* know the difference
between IDP/IPS and an IDS.