Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Support the Sasser-author fund started

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 11:17:45 -0400

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:33:44 +0200, Ondrej Krajicek <krajicek () ics muni cz>  said:

we're faster".  Add on an the required anti-virus program monitoring
packets in and out and watch your performance drop as that eliminates
the whole concept behind DMA as now you have to route all data through
the host cpu anyways.  Pretty soon, we'll need AV signature engines
encoded in the data bus of Windows machines in silicon.  I wouldn't be
surprised if Intel or AMD had a skunkworks project on this very problem.

"Palladium".  It's more about DRM than about real security (think about it -
if somebody find yet another IIS exploit, the buffer overflow will run in the IIS
context same as it does now....

IMHO the data are routed through host CPU anyway, DMA is not as clever
to locate the proper file in the proper filesystem on the proper
volume and pass them to the proper network card. You're right that the=20
CPU does not have to process every single bit of each (?) file.
But this could be solved by used more advanced bus architecture
(PCIX or even something faster) and adding more CPU. Dedicated anti-virus
chip is a thing which I hope is not going to happen.

Hmm.. let me get this straight - I can run something like SELinux and get
snappy performance on a 700mz PentiumIII, but to get security out of Windows
I'll need even MORE CPU and a PCIX?  What's wrong with this picture?