Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Wireless ISPs

From: Maarten <fulldisc () ultratux org>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 00:24:58 +0200

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 21:20, D B wrote:
Hi Brian

Sit down sometime inside a wireless ISPs area and run
kismet. You can see someone connect to a service via
SSL, then immediately after they purchase something
they check the email. Guess what ? the Credit card #
and address are in that email.

I've never ever seen that, the full creditcard number. What often happens
though, is that they print something like 3211.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx.
Maybe that is bad already, but I doubt it. Even having 8 of the total 16
digits leaves a lot to be guessed still...

Dan, the internet is an unsafe place for sensitive
data.  I would suggest some study in different
encryption methodlogies to educate yourself.
Education leads to positive, well thought out data
communication, which leads to peace of mind.

Well put.

Maarten

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html