Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Imaging Operating Systems

From: Ondrej Krajicek <krajicek () ics muni cz>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 19:21:11 +0200

This is an interesting thread...  But out of curiosity, is it also possible to
do backup / restores using readily available linux tools?
I'd like to be able to do something like running dd over a network connection,
or tar, or whatever other tool.  In that case, a bootable CD is all you need.
But I'm unsure how to do that...

Knoppix + tar + bzip2 + netcat, but beware... it is REALLY FAST :).
On slower lines (up to 100Mbit/s incl.), the line will be the bottleneck (98% avg. usage),
on faster ones (we tested on 1Gbit/s fiber optics ethernet and 2GBit/s Fiber
Channel) the ATA disks used on the client were the limiting
factor :).

on client/source:
$tar c / | bzip2 -9 | nc server port

on server:
nc -l port | bunzip2 | tar x

Please note, that netcat has also UDP option. Using it this way
leads to having lost of fun... ;-)))).

Netcat is also available on Windows under CygWin. With Knoppix
able to mount NTFS read-only, this has some interesting-to-explore
implications... :).

Have a nice day...

Ondra

|Ondrej Krajicek                                                 (-KO|
|Institute of Computer Science, Masaryk University Brno, CR          |
|http://isildur.ics.muni.cz/~ondra               krajicek () ics muni cz|