Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: [inbox] Re: RE: new internet explorer exploit (was new worm)

From: "Exibar" <exibar () thelair com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:47:46 -0500

How can this be a 0-day worm is McAfee VirusScan picks it up as VBS/Psyme
worm?  In my opinion, in order to truely be a 0-day worm, it has to be
completely new.  It doesn't even have to be a new vulnerability really.

 0-day  -->  date of birth  (no AV signatures out at first onset, larger AV
companies start releasing signatures after a couple hours of backwards
engineering)
 1 - 3 Day --->  living the good life  (Large AV vendors have sigs out,
smaller av vendors should have them out as well)
 3+ Day  ---> old.... (ALL AV vendors have sigs out)

  Now, a 0-day vulnerabilty and a 0-day worm for the 0-day vuln, would be
something indeed.  It surely would catch the world by surprise....

   Psyme is not 0-day, McAfee had DATS out for it since October 8, last
year, discovered September 30 last year...

I'm not trying to start a flame war, thats just the way I see things.

  Exibar