Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Cronning Update Jobs

From: Luke Norman <luke () normanonline co uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 09:47:19 +0000

Morning List,
I hope this is security/vulnerability related enough for me to post on this list. If you feel it isn't, feel free to reply off-list to tell me so. I'd hate for this to turn into another spammy thread :p I run a Gentoo Linux server from home, running apache, exim, an ircd, ftpd and bnc. It links to an IRC network that I co-admin, and provides mail and website for that network, as well as providing me with a useful place to store files. If any of you are unfamiliar with linux/gentoo, I can update all the installed packages on the box by typing 'emerge sync && emerge -u world'. I tend to do this when I can, but sometimes im away for a few days, and so am unable to do this manually. My question is this - are there any security risks to adding this command to a cron job, and having it execute say, once every 12 hours. Any and all input appreciated
Thanks
Luke

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html