Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: viruses being sent to this list

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:06:15 -0500

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:03:51 +1100, Dave Horsfall <dave () horsfall org>  said:

1) Viruses are sending mail to the list address.

They'd have to forge a member's address as well.

Trust me. It happens *all* the time.  I've even had one recent virus that
managed to get the list address of a 'post by owner only' list into the To:
field, and the owner's address into the From: field.  50 times.  To a multi
10s of thousands of subscribers list.  Pure Murphy - our large lists that are
"post by owner only, after confirmation" didn't have any attempts made
on them, just the one misconfigured list. :)