Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: viruses being sent to this list

From: "Stuart Fox (DSL AK)" <StuartF () datacom co nz>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:37:09 +1200

-----Original Message-----
From: Gadi Evron [mailto:ge () egotistical reprehensible net]
Sent: Tuesday, 23 March 2004 4:27 p.m.
To: Stuart Fox (DSL AK)
Cc: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] viruses being sent to this list

| It would seem that the weight of opinion might be against
you on this
| one, I'd give up while you're still only marginally behind...

I will defend my opinion here, as I unwisely committed to
this discussion, a while longer. As I am permitted to by the
list charter, which I am defending, as it has been breached.

Trouble is, the charter applies to humans.  Viruses don't read the charter
before they send their messages.  Basically, I read the charter to say
"don't deliberately send viruses/worms to the list".  The charter doesn't
say anything about what will happen to automated attacks.

Given that AV vendors tend to charge per user for their mail scanning
products, it probably wouldn't be too financially viable for the list owners
(who graciously host the list for free) to implement scanning anyway.

Cheers

Stu

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html