Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: !! Internet Explorer !!

From: Koen <koen4security () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:58:37 +0200

Matthew Jonkman wrote:

Here's your best bet for protecting yourself from IE vulnerabilities, trojans, spyware, etc:

http://www.mozilla.org.

Better, safer, faster.

And how exactly does this help in a corporate environment where you are obliged to use Internet Explorer because they are running some kind of bloated service/application that only runs in IE?

I stick to Firebird ...uhmm..Firefox but whenever I need to get my hands on some piece of 'corporate' document that's in our document information system it's good old and ugly IE that does the trick. I'm not stating that this is a good thing, but it's damned reality in +50% of corporate environments. Choice is good, even when this involves Microsoft.

You're far better of educating your users how to deal with 'suspicious' content, making sure that everything is back-uped (and tested!), providing alternatives for 'regular' browsing (like Mozilla for external traffic, Internet Explorer for internal webservers), filtering 'some' content, monitoring your traffic as close as you can get, making sure that 'unsafe' (and safe) applications are locked down and watching security lists like this one so that you can inform your 'users' (and not the other way around).

Koen

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html