Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: tvm.exe / poll each.exe / blehdefyreal toolbar

From: "mark" <mark () edwards org>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 10:00:02 -0700

Suggesting that the likely best approach to "fixing" a system
of which you have _no freaking idea whatsoever_ is ailing it
is to reformat and reinstall (_or_ anything lelse) is clearly
a sign of incompetence, and little else.

The idea here is to learn something from it. Reformatting the system is
a good idea, but before that takes place it'd be nice to learn what the
thing actually is and how it works.

This thing respawns itself without a reboot. Loading Tiny Personal
Firewall apparently prevents it from respawning. TPF does something
about preventing code from being injected into a process, so maybe
that's why TPF keeps it at bay.

This isn't on any system I use or manage. It's on a collegue's system
and I am trying to help find a way to figure out what it does, how to
get it shut down permanently, removed if possible.

Thanks for the suggestions to those who've provided some, including a
reformat ;-)

Mark

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html