Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Possible First Crypto Virus Definitely Disc overed!

From: "Goudie, Derek" <derek.goudie () earthtech ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:54:02 -0400

Thanks!  I needed that....

-----Original Message-----
From: Jakob Jünger [mailto:krimskram () freenet de]
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 1:01 PM
To: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Possible First Crypto Virus Definitely
Discovered!

Hi,

I just can admit to what Billy wrote. The Firewall of my PDA is getting
hot. It plays "Yellow Submarine" everytime I press the escape-key. It
has to be something like this crypto-thing. I don't know what "crypto"
means but it seems to be encrypted with EnglishLanguageProtocol.
Believe me, I have been the administrator of my PDA since I was three
years old.

Jakob

Whatever ssl is, I don't know but it's using the so-called "ssl"
port on the web servers.

But this port 443 is not SSH! Why should it be encrypted? And what
is this "ssl" thing? I've been in IT for many years and I am now IT
Director here at the bank... I would think that I would know what
"ssl" would be. I don't think this worm has anything to do with
whatever "ssl" is. Does anybody even still use ssl? That's probably
why the hackers chose it.

Sorry to say but it is not! I checked my incoming traffic again this
morning
and the attack on port 443 is still coming in full steam ahead! I
don't know
what's going on, but I am about to block that port on my firewall.
Some
nitwit (probably the idiot that was here before I became IT Director)
somehow, for some reason, deliberately opened port 443 on the
firewalls!

I am beginning to think that this is the first wave of the new coming
global
crypto-storm!

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html