Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Possible First Crypto Virus Definitely Discovered!

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:40:22 -0700 (PDT)

Bill,

From your post, you don't seem to have a great deal of
detailed information to share about this issue...

The virus works on port 443.

Wouldn't it then be, by definition, a worm?

It seems to accept inbound connections on that
port as well and, presumably, awaits for commands
from some series of
servers elsewhere. Perhaps taking orders?

What information do you have to support this
assumption?

I also captured some of the
traffic and attempted to analyze it up but it looks
like -- you heard it
here first, folks -- the payload is encrypted!

If this worm runs over SSL, as you say, then wouldn't
you expect it to be encrypted?

Is this the first of a coming
storm of crypto viruses we've all been eagerly
fearing?

Is it?
http://www.us-cert.gov/current/current_activity.html#pct

To be totally honest, Bill, I don't see a great deal
of information in your post that supports any of your
assertions/assumptions.  If this thing is spreading
the way you say it is, then it's a worm.

Regardless, there isn't any information in your post
that clearly shows that this worm infects both Windows
and Unix hosts.  In fact, one thing that does seem
clear in your post is that you haven't collected any
information from the "infected" hosts, but rather all
you've got so far is network traffic via
Ethereal...and to be honest, any worm running over SSL
is going to be encrypted...

At any rate, this is your heads up, folks! You heard
it here first! Be on
the lookout for this first, very nasty CRYPTO VIRUS!

Thanks.  Noted.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html