Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Netgear WG602 Accesspoint vulnerability

From: Rip Toren <rtoren () futures-inc com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 15:42:00 -0400

Folks;
  I found a new firware update on the Netgear product support page that removes this
account, along with a couple of other fixes.
  I upgraded, and the login is no longer available. Good, quick response.....

Quoting Tom Knienieder <knienieder () khamsin ch>:

KHAMSIN Security News
KSN Reference: 2004-06-03 0001 TIP

Title
-----
        The Netgear WG602 Accesspoint contains an undocumented
        administrative account.

Date
----
        2004-06-03

Description
-----------

The webinterface which is reachable from both interfaces (LAN/WLAN)
contains an undocumented administrative account which cannot be disabled.

Any user logging in with the username "super" and the password "5777364"
is in complete control of the device.

This vulnerability can be exploited by any person which is able to reach
the webinterface of the device with a webbrowser.

A search on Google revealed that "5777364" is actually the phonenumber
of z-com Taiwan which develops and offers WLAN equipment for its OEM
customers.

Currently it is unknown whether other Vendors are shipping products
based on z-com OEM designs.

   <<snip>>

--
Rip Toren