Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: FW: Question for DNS pros

From: "Paul Rolland" <rol () witbe net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:58:48 +0200

Hello,

I've altered the real hostname on our network to "targethost"
and altered
the querying IP to x.x.x.x for privacy reasons.  All these
queries are
*from* the same host.  This pattern is *typical* of what I'm
seeing from a
*number of diverse hosts* from all over the world.

22:06:10.294071 x.x.x.x.2566 >
targethost.utdallas.edu.domain:  29462 NS? .
(17)
22:06:11.043050 x.x.x.x.2566 >
targethost.utdallas.edu.domain:  29463 NS? .
(17)
22:06:11.791218 x.x.x.x.2566 >
targethost.utdallas.edu.domain:  29464 NS? .
(17)

Seems to be a query for the NS for the "." (root) zone.
The machine sending the queries is probably configured to use
your server as a complete DNS resolver and transfer all its queries
to your server.

Regards,
Paul

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.