Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: DOS all platforms

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:46:18 -0600

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 21:00, Matt Burnett wrote:
Actually I just remembered the viruses can break current hardware. There are
many CPU's out there that can be overclocked in software. The PowerPC 750
(aka G3) cpu using in Apple computers is one of them. And I doubt anyone
will try to argue that OCing can kill the cpu.

Isn't it possible to erase/overwrite the microcode ROM of Intel CPU's?
What would make for a nasty virus.... and may just be what "the experts"
expect as the "digital perl harbor".

(The downside [upside?] is that testing microcode viruses is ...uhm...
somewhat limited :)

Cheers,
Frank