Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Yes, user education is a lost cause ;-)

From: "Ian Latter" <itsecurity () mq edu au>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:26:13 +1000

Unless of course you are like me and I am sure many on this list and
purchased the software through a bundle from a manufacturer and have
never used it, unpacked it, accepted the license...

In this case the license agreement does not apply and some remediation
should be possible because you have paid for "defective" software.

True; I forgot about the prebundling process - In a former role we had
to drop a vendor because he refused to ship a computer without
Windows costed into it (even though we were building a non-Windows
server).

Isn't the relationship still with Microsoft, only via their "agent"? IANAL2;
thought presumably its condition to the terms with your supplier, in that
case.

As another angle, the license agreement in these bundles is inside the
bundle and by breaking the seal you "agree" to the terms of the license
without having the chance to read the license.

I recall reading about an Egghead case similar to this only focused on a
store return policy and the position that if the package was opened the
software could not be returned, even if defective...

I remember Microsoft getting into trouble over one of the Win98 distro's
(an OEM ver?) that had a red tag that said something in the order of
"in breaking this seal, you agree to the license agreement on the
disc" - referring to the software that booted off the media; something
that couldn't be read from the packaging without breaking the seal.

Hmm can't find it .. maybe I am wrong .. I can only find this reference;
http://nl.linux.org/geldterug/license.html  to an article that has moved
here;  http://www.brethertons.co.uk/corporateFiles/corpFileIss26.doc
regarding a Scottish court and Adobe. Yes, ok, it'll be in this lot;
http://www.linuxmafia.com/refund/coverage.html

That aside, point understood.

IANAL but perhaps there is one out there that has not tuned out this
thread that can comment.

--
Ian Latter
IT Security Officer