Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: FW: DOS all platforms

From: Jan Lühr <jluehr () gmx net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 00:00:37 +0100

Greetings,

Am Dienstag, 27. Januar 2004 13:35 schrieb Jos Osborne:
Back just before the millenium my local college lost about 30 or so brand
new computers cos' of a virus that overwrote their flash Bios'es with
random gibberish. Said Bios chips were soldered directly to the motherboard
so they couldn't even be easily replaced.

It was called CIH. Here in germany a local computer maginze offered to retoast
to chips.

I heard about the HD destroyer
too - it was supposed to be something to do with setting up a vibration in
the drive heads that destroyed the slipstream layer the head rides on.
Nobody I know has ever _actually_ seen it happen tho.

May be an urban myth. I also onced heard about a monitor destroyer. It ought
to overclocke the monitor. But in fact, all my monitors (purchesed since
1995) switch off, if the frequence jump out of range...

Keep smiling
yanosz

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html