Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: W2K source "leaked"?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:22:28 -0500

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 20:22:32 CST, Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>  said:

I suspect that flaws will probably be found.  After all, they already have
been found without the source.  It's only logical that with the source in
hand more flaws will be found.

And at a vastly increased rate.  We have to assume at this point that
every serious black hat now has a copy of at least 660M of MS source.

And while holes can be found by disassembly and reverse engineering, it
goes a LOT faster with the source.  What was a string of 12 LOAD and STORE
opcodes with 2 ADDS thrown in and then a CALL suddenly becomes:

"Holy <insert Elder God here>.  They never called strlen()"....