Full Disclosure mailing list archives

ASN vulerability question

From: William Warren <hescominsoon () emmanuelcomputerconsulting com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:50:20 -0500

A user of a much less technical list I am a member of asked a very interesting question I quote it below:

I am well aware that Windows Update and the Microsoft Security bulletins do
> not indicate that Win98 is affected by this ASN vulnerability. But I did > read that on an NT4.0 system, searching for msasn1.dll would let you know
> if you were affected.  Well, for grins, I did this on my 98se
> machine. Bam; I have it. So my question is this: Is there not an update > because the implementation of asn is different in Win98, or is it because
> the product life cycle for Windows 98 has ended, and the vulnerability
> really does affect 98 users--there's just nothing they can do about it?

What's the verdict on this one?
--
May God Bless you and everything you touch.

My "foundation" verse:
Isaiah 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html