Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Apparently the practice was prevalent

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 11:12:07 +1300

Scott Taylor <security () 303underground com> wrote:

Wouldn't it make sense to accept user@pass, but NOT DISPLAY IT on the
address bar? so even if someone clicks on a shady link, they don't see
http://www.visa.com () crooks com, they only see http://crooks.com on their
address bar? And with all those miserable encoded characters translated
back to plaintext too. Yeah I know. silly idea. Just too bloody obvious
I guess.

Let's see...

First, you are proposing that IE have a non-standards compliant
behaviour re-instated?  That is bad for several reasons already
discussed.

Second, you are suggesting that IE should hide the fact that there is
some kind of authentication involved.  That is really stupid as it is a
sure bet that many clue-deprived web developers (you can read comments
from some of them in Lemos' article to get an idea of the level of lack
of care for security they _already_ have) will then see the mechanism
as _more secure_ "because the user credentials are not displayed".
These are a similar kind of moron to those web designers who think
disabling left-click with JavaScript and using those trivial client-
side runtime "decryption" scripts make their web page design tricks
and/or script code "invisible" to others.

Third, I agree it would be a good idea if all encoded characters that
can be rendered in the browser's address or status bar as "displayable"
characters should be rendered thus, rather than left encoded.  AFAIR,
is how Mozilla, and I think Opera, already handles such situations.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html