Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Apparently the practice was prevalent

From: "Shawn K. Hall \(RA/Security\)" <Security () ReliableAnswers com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:17:29 -0500

It is unbelievable that the media is spreading such FUD
about the URL passwords.

"Unbelievable" and "media spreading FUD" in the same sentence?
Twilight Zone.

The only good thing in this article is the message, that
it breaks thousands of applications and produces tons of
unnecessary costs.

I agree.

If it improves security that people cannot use password
protected directories anymore... I doubt, I doubt.

Here's a link to the 'workarounds':
  http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=834489

Believe it or not it actually *does* fix the ascii(1) bug (after you
disable the new 'feature'):
  http://www.microsoft.com@www.redhat.com/
Actually displays ^ in the address bar. I half-expected MS to skip
fixing the actual bug in favor of the "breaking the standards"
'solution.'

Where do you want to be prevented from going today?
Here's a reg fix:
'// ========================================================
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_HTTP_USERNAME_PASSWORD_DISABLE]
"iexplore.exe"=dword:00000000
"explorer.exe"=dword:00000000

Regards,

Shawn K. Hall
http://ReliableAnswers.com/

   "You have to press the go button, not the slow button."
      -- Zachary Hall (my son) at age 4, instructing me how
         to drive a vehicle in "Need For Speed II"

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html