Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Gee Why don't you teach then! Help out the community.

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 10:30:53 -0500

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 12:09:47 GMT, Ishikodzume <ishikodzume () beneath plus com>  said:

I think we can learn just fine by ourselves, thanks.
There is no worry of some 'art' being lost when security experts die
off. The talented ones will always learn with or without the help of
others - is this not one of the things in the very definition of a
hacker?

"If I have seen further than others, it is because I stood on the shoulders
of giants" -- Isaac Newton

"If we can't see as far as others, it's because we're busy standing on
each other's feet" -- the security industry

Sure.  You can re-learn and re-invent.  But personally, I like having
all the basic stuff like fire and agriculture not getting re-invented
each generation.

Did the current old timers need constant mentoring to get to their
current level of knowledge? No. Then why should a younger generation
of hackers?

Actually, if you go back and actually learn about the history of the net,
a *large* part of it was sucessful precisely *because* there was a high
level of interchange with places like Stanford and the MIT AI Lab and
the like.

Find out why MIT AI Memo 239 was issued in early 1972.

Hint: It was released for the same reasons that Solar Designer
released "Smashing the Stack for Fun and Profit".

It is my belief that this kind of thing can only be taught effectively
by oneself, anyway.

Hmm.. how long would it have taken you to figure out the concept of
a buffer overflow without Solar's paper, or some other similar hint?