Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Again: zone transfers, a spammer's dream?

From: Jorrit Kronjee <full-disclosure () nospam wafel org>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 19:49:46 +0100

Ralf Glauberman wrote:
Hello all,
after Lode Vermeiren having published on the 7th of December that many
tlds are transferable I did further research on this. Much to my
surprise this wasn't just a problem of little states. i did a complete
scan on all tlds (http://data.iana.org/TLD/tlds-alpha-by-domain.txt)
including every soa and ns server. i got results from 141 out of the
258 checked tlds. i din't check every single output, but there are not
more than 10 false-positives within these. while the ca zone is secure
now, i was really surprised that be (~ 42 MB, ~ 900.000 records) and
fi (~ 11 MB, ~ 235.000 records) are transferable.
all in all, i found that the following tlds are transferable (also
there might be some false-positives):

arpa being one of those false positives (it's hardly exploitable by spammers anyway).

Although only a few nameservers of the tld allow zone transfers - and you really have to look for them - it really amazes me that these nameservers aren't properly configured.

I'm just glad I don't live in any of these countries.

Jorrit

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html