Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Shoe 1.0 - Remote Lace Overflow

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 07:44:17 -0600

Very funny, nice work.

-----Original Message-----
From: full-disclosure-bounces () lists netsys com
[mailto:full-disclosure-bounces () lists netsys com] On Behalf
Of announce () 0x90 org
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2004 10:21 AM
To: bugtraq () securityfocus com; dailydave () immunitysec com;
full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: [Full-disclosure] Shoe 1.0 - Remote Lace Overflow

 Shoe 1.0 - Remote Lace Overflow

 This Vulnerability is in reference to the new class of
remote vulnerabilities  indicated in:
 http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/385078/2004-12-19/2004-12-25/2
 [Please read that first]

 Discovery Credited To:
 ----------------------
      freshman - 0x90.org
      wxs      - 0x90.org
      txs      - 0x90.org

 Greets:
 -------
 Jonathan T. Rockway for being the smartest man alive.

 ------------
 A remote shoe vulnerability exists that could allow for
remote tripping and  possible exposure of sensitive data to
the pavement.

 Scope:
 ------
 REMOTE

 Severity:
 ---------
 Hyper-Critical. This needs no explanation.

 Vulnerability:
 --------------
 Failure to properly tie your shoe could result in tripping
and a possible  broken face upon sudden deceleration when
hitting the pavement.

 Vulnerable Sizes:
 -----------------
 6 through 13. Other sizes may be vulnerable, but were
unavailable for testing.

 Exploitation:
 -------------
 You have a 100% secure walking system - you do not fall
down, or trip over  your own laces.  A remote attacker could
determine your shoe size by reading  your livejournal FROM
THE NETWORK and could MAIL YOU a shoe with extra long  laces.
 You put the shoe on without tying it properly and suddenly
are exposed  to a REMOTE shoe vulnerability!

 Fix:
 ----
 Do not wear untrusted shoes sent to you. Other possible
workarounds include  sandals (aka. flip-flops). These are a
good work-around and are widely  available for those
concerned about their security.

 Vendor Notification:
 --------------------
 Vendors were not notified at the time of this writing.  We
have choosen not to  give advance notice because the fault is
not always with the vendor of the  shoe as a REMOTE PERSON
could SNAIL MAIL a LOCAL USER a  vulnerable shoe.

 We at 0x90.org believe that the users should be happy they
were notified about  this.  Imagine the mass destruction and
chaos that would ensue if we unleashed  a REMOTE SHOE
VULNERABILITY WORM into the wild.  At this time we have
choosen  not to do that, mostly because we can not afford all
the stamps to mail  vulnerable shoes to the public.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html