Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Network Sniffing

From: Ben Nelson <venom () venom600 org>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:06:52 -0700

Take a look at:
http://www.insecure.org/tools.html

I've used almost all of the tools on that list at one time or another. A list of my favorites (sniffer-type tools) would include:

ntop -- great at getting a good overall picture (top-talkers, etc)
ethereal -- good protocol analysis, reads pcap (tcpdump) output natively
snort -- for all your IDS needs
dsniff -- for monitoring traffic and capturing passwords when necessary
tcpdump -- I use this most often.  Great for quick, down-n-dirty sniffs.

--Ben

Crehan, Joe (EM, ITS, Contractor) wrote:
Gentleman,

I have been having all kinds of quirky network problems at one of my facilities. I always used SnifferPro to identify “top talkers” and babbling machines.

Now that I work for “The Hive” I am no longer allowed to purchase licenses for such wonderful products.

So the question is more of a poll of what the “best of the best” use for there networks.

M$ and *NIX  cheap and free.

***Joe Crehan*

Customer Engineer

GE Infrastructure Deskside Support Team

GE Information Technology solutions, Inc.
T 508-698-7567

F 508-698-6940

E ___joe.crehan@ge.com_ <mailto:joe.crehan () ge com>