Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Windows Update

From: David Vincent <support () sleepdeprived ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:04:46 -0700

Security List wrote:

Went to windows update last night w/ XP Pro. Redirected to the v5 version. I was asked to install
the new Windows Update software...downloaded the WU
software...copied the files...then saw
registering...kinda thinking that it was checking for
a valid registration or license.  No updates needed
according to WU.  XP SP2 is not available via WU for
XP Pro yet.

Now, I checked the Automatic Update service to see if
it was turned back start automatic as I always have it
disabled.  Yup, it was set to automatic and it was
started.  I stop and disable automatic update service,
and try WU.  Get error stating that the automatic
update service must be enable to use WU now.  Has
anybody else head of this?  Once again, we must have
services that we do not want enable.  I can not
believe that they are forcing user to turn on the
service to use WU.
I can confirm this, kinda.

Checking my services, I have Automatic Updates on Automatic Startup and Started, BITS on Manual and not started, and Event Log on Automatic and started. Windows Update v5 works.

After fooling with starting and stopping services, and then changing states between Automatic, Manual, and Disabled, Windows Update v5 fails to run unless Automatic Updates is set to Automatic Startup. Strangely it will work if the service is set to Automatic Startup, yet is in the Stopped state. And it will not work if Automatic Updates is set to Manual Startup and in the Started state.

Here's the output from the Windows Update v5 site when it fails:

-----

Windows Update cannot continue because a required service application is disabled. Windows Update requires the following services:

Automatic Updates enables detection, downloading, and installation of critical updates for your computer. Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) enables faster, restartable downloading of updates. Event Log logs Windows Update events for troubleshooting. To ensure that these services are enabled:

<>1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, right-click the service name, and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic.
5. Verify that the service status is started.

-----

-d

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html