Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: AV Naming Convention

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:15:42 -0500

I have to agree with Todd, the naming convention is now right useless for
the normal population and make keeping up with viruses on a corporate level
that much harder. AV companies are always trying to beat the other company
and this leads to very little information sharing between the companies on
new viruses, etc.

Maybe a foundation should be created. This foundation could give a seal of
approval to all AV corporations that join in. We are starting to make rules
for patch management over at patchmanagment.org. Why couldn't a group work
with AV names and the first company that finds and IDs it correctly gets to
name it in the foundation. Just a dream, I would guess.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html