Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Block notification / bounce mails (as in DDOS)

From: "Aditya, ALD [Aditya Lalit Deshmukh]" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway technolabs net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 07:09:52 +0530

One think that crossed my mind later on was :
- change my mx-records to one mailhost 'X' that's on my netblock
(so making
sure that possibly the backup-mailexchangers don't get annoyed)

here i control my mx and dns records so i can do this without doing anything to the isp so i use this solution

- contact my isp and ask them to block all traffic directed to
'X' to port 25
on their border routers

this will also work without any probs, infact the mx pointing to localhost might stop all your mail which even this
soultion will do ;) how about something like postfix + spamassassin to stop accepting mail that is spam it coluld be
eaisily done by one spamasssin rule

-aditya

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.